Wednesday, February 23, 2011

First art gallery visit

A)     Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why?
a.       Hum made by Roberto Longo created in 1953.  This work of art impacted me because it seemed like a bunch of phones lines being connected in a larger scale.  This made me think that technology is growing so fast and almost dwarfing us which is evident in how big it is.
b.      The Holstein Manifesto by Matthew Ritchie created in 2008.  This work just grabbed my attention.   This work was beaten up because it had cuts and holes in it but the video was still playing on it.
c.       The Quiet of Dissolution, Firestorm by Sonja Braas created in 2008.  This work shows a city that is going to be getting engulfed in flames but there are still many lights on in the city as if people didn’t even care what was going on.  This makes me think that people really do not even notice nature and the affect it can have on us.
B)      Which artworks do I feel a Connection with?  Why?
a.       Winter by Emile Pierce Branchard created in 1928.  This work reminds me my uncle’s camp that I often visit.  It is a beautiful picture that seems peaceful and calm that you do not want to disturb.
b.      Carcass of Beef by Chaim Soutine created in 1925.  This work reminds me of the meat that we eat.  I am a hunter and I prepare my own meat and this is a work of art that takes me back to when I am preparing my own food.  This work is not for everyone and can seem gruesome to others.
c.       Thirty Illustrations for Histoire naturelle by Buffon created by Pablo Picasso in 1942.  This work has many pieces that all depict different animals and nature.  Being a hunter and outdoorsman these pictures were a description of many of the things I see when I enjoy myself outside.
C)      Which artworks would I like to know more about?  Why?
a.       Indefinite Divisibility by Ynes Tanguy created in 1942.  This work is an abstract work and for me almost any abstract work of art makes me question what it means because they are hard for me to interpret.
b.      Nomad by James Rosenquist created in 1963.  This work looks like the artist just created it leaving their supplies on the ground.  The paint seems to be dripping as well. 
c.       Composition with Stripes by George LK Morris created in 1945.  This work has a flag in the middle of the painting but it does not show stars and the longer that I looked at the picture the more negative appeal it seemed to have on me. 
Here are the works that I was able to find on the internet.  I did not feel comfortable taking pictures of the works in the gallery.


Sonja Braas, The quiet of dissolution - Firestorm



2 comments:

  1. David,

    Carcass of Beef and The Quiet of Dissolution almost made it onto my lists as well. Carcass of Beef is pretty gruesome and many people probably couldn't stomach it, I agree. I almost put that in my "works that impacted you" section. Also, The Quiet of Dissolution is an amazing piece - I love how oblivious it seems the city is to the approaching fires. I have a feeling that might be the way our modern society might react.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment on Hum by Roberto Longo was very interesting. I didn't think that at first glance, but after reading your description, it really does make sense that the artists intention was to show the growth of technology. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete