Thursday, March 17, 2011

Week 8 video post

1)  I chose each of the videos based on their title.  I chose the Gothic Architecture video because after reading in the textbook I found myself staring at the intricacy of all of the buildings with their peaks and points everywhere.  I chose the Cataclysm video because the idea of the Black Death is intriguing to me.  The Black Death was so horrific to a period of people and it came on so fast it is so interesting to learn how it gained so much control so quickly.  The final of the three videos we had to pick I chose the Greek Art and the Human Figure video.  I chose this video because any type of sculpture of the human body is art work to me.  The human bodies in all its forms even though they are all the same, vary vastly.
2)  In the More Human than Human video I found it very interesting how many statues that we accept as human like are not truly human.  In this video they take pictures of statues and translate them to normal human beings and what appears seems absurd.  In the Late Gothic Art and Architecture:  England, 1400 – 1547 video I learned that the many Gothic style churches that are still around are social centers as much as religious centers.  In the Cataclysm:  The Black Death Visits Tuscany video I found how the plague was transferred from area to area very interesting.  In the The Measure of All Things: Greek Art and the Human Figure video I found it interesting how that even in the classical period the people focused on the idealized person as we still do today.
3)  All of the videos relate to the text because they discuss similar matters.  Both the video and the textbook talk about the Gothic style, human statues, and the idealized and natural human sculptures just to name a few topics that are similar.
4)  I find that the films are very beneficial to our learning.  Each video provides different materials that were not discussed in the textbook.  Also it seems that the videos are better able to elaborate on the topics better than the textbook can in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment